Friday, March 2, 2007

What convinced me to make my latest Kiva.Org loan

I just invested my bimonthly installment of $25 into a cattle and rice farm called Hacienda la Maria, owned by Ivan Romero in Ecuador. What made this one stand apart from all others?

First, I should say that I am overinvested in Ecuador. Initially, I thought about investing in a pulpería in Honduras, mainly because I'd want to invest more in that country. However that one didn't really pass my loose "due diligence" standards: 12-16 months repayment period for a $750 loan means to me that the revenue generated from the venture isn't enough to make a real difference. If you can't pay back a $750 at a rate of $100-$150 per month, then you should think of ways to make more money of a business, or loan more money to drastically expand what you are doing.

So I was hesitant at first to invest another loan in Ecuador. Don't understand me wrong: my initial doubts were solely based on diversification. I think that Mifex is a FANTASTIC MFI, and I have built up a relationship via email with one of their principal loan officers and executives, Luis Crespo.

What pulled me over the brink was the expansiveness of the description. Simply great! There was a section on the geographical and safety risks, the background on why the associations were formed and how they would help guaranteeing repayment and reduce risks, as well as the simple opportunity description. Another factor was, that this business *can* repay $1200 in 7-11 months, and therefore his revenue (increase) will be well in proportions to the loan.

Are there other people putting in these criteria? I heard a rumor about a discussion on this at Pondering Pig's blog, I will have to check that out.

No comments: