Monday, January 22, 2007

Finally - invested again

As I wrote before, I've had quite a lot of troubles finding a new investment opportunity for the second half of January. The offer of Latin American businesses was quite low, often even zero. I even emailed Luis at Mifex to ask if there were new businesses in the pipeline-- there were, he said, and obviously my patience worked out.

There were three businesses in need listed by Mifex:
  1. Esperanza Mazon
  2. Helen Minota
  3. Jenny Cevallos
I chose to go with #3, Jenny Cevallos. Her story was simply the most compelling. I believe that Esperanza Mazon has a good chance of paying back, but her business approach seems too small to me for her to really progress. Also, 6-10 months for such a small amount seems a very slow repayment rate. Helen Minota's business seems good, although I am not sure about how she would run a business as a single mother with three kids. I hope her family will help her out with childcare, as it often happens in Latin America. And Jenny Cevallos, who got my vote, appears to be a serious and savvy business woman. Her husband is supportive and works, she looks very dedicated, and has invested time, effort, and money in her business and store.

Let's see in a few months how things are working out!

No comments: